FAQ   Search   Memberlist   Usergroups   Register   Profile   Log in to check your private messages   Log in 
hydrofoil trimaran ekranoplan hybrids...wha ?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Next Level Forum Index -> Tomorrow's World
  ::  Previous topic :: Next topic  
Nat

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 2:31 pm    Post subject: hydrofoil trimaran ekranoplan hybrids...wha ? Reply with quote

remember those glory days of sea planes, some
    of which were monsters like the Spruce Goose ?

me neither

but the idea of seaplanes is so romantic, a symbol of some innocent era that
    never was, where 'brave new world' meant something altogether more optimistic

i have this recurring daydream, of travelling to a port and 'going aboard' what
    looks like a seaplane, albeit with wings sitting close to the water...but here's
    the cool thing, this seafaring vessel is a cross between a trimaran boat, a hydrofoil,
    and an ekranoplan...and you could build these things in 'Goose dwarfing proportions

the trimaran basic design is stable...the hydrofoil is efficient, plus a hydrofoiling
    vessel is in effect airborne...and the ekranoplan ?...ooh baby, are they cool or what ?
    they fly on a cushion of air ('wing in ground effect'), not unlike a normal aircraft

so combine all three and you have a smooth transition from boat to flight

one bloke, a true genius, Rostislav Evgenievich Alexeev, designed
    both the first ground effect, and the first hydrofoil craft

i don't know if he ever combined the two ideas, but it could be very cool indeed

these last two images are of one of his creations:
    what the cia called The Caspian Sea Monster

and what Kruschev referred to mysteriously
    as "a ship that can jump over bridges"

i just think it'd be neat is all...and a plane crash from an 'altitude'
    of fifteen feet into water sounds almost enjoyable :roll:

sigh, some day i'll build a hydrofoil trimaran ekranoplan hybrid...some day

lol, even a little four seater would do me

i'll get me coat* Laughing

*[english/referrential: source: The Fast Show...meaning: 'i've embarrassed myself and i'm now leaving']

Last edited by Nat on Mon Feb 19, 2007 7:05 pm; edited 3 times in total
Shroom

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 8:25 pm    Post subject: Ferries like Faries Reply with quote

Do you realize that there are hydroplane ferries. Seattle uses them. I got on one a couple of decades ago, along with about a hundred cars and fifty trucks. It picked up off the water and did about 90 mph. I couldn't believe it.
Nat

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oh yeah, hydroplanes are cool, and that 90mph is 'quite quick', it must have felt strange to feel the boat raise up and take off like that, very neat indeed

i think it's a shame that Alexeev is not more widely known of, and that there aren't ekranoplan ferries crossing the channel and flying about elsewhere...perhaps a flying car ferry that takes you across the atlantic ? Shocked ...yes, i am just being silly there

"ladies and gentlemen, we are currently cruising at 600 knots, at an altitude of twenty feet"

sounds like a fun mode of travel to me
Shroom

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2007 1:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Of all the idiotic ideas that have been put into production, I've never seen anything with so much class as the ekranoplan. There's nothing like it. It needs some sort of award for style and aesthetics.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Next Level Forum Index -> Tomorrow's World All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: