FAQ   Search   Memberlist   Usergroups   Register   Profile   Log in to check your private messages   Log in 
SE Asia Seismic Activity UP Since 7.1 Quake (12-26-2006)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Next Level Forum Index -> Tomorrow's World
  ::  Previous topic :: Next topic  
DrewTerry

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 7:09 pm    Post subject: SE Asia Seismic Activity UP Since 7.1 Quake (12-26-2006) Reply with quote

It didn't get much of any press coverage or notice in the US that I saw but there was a 7.1 quake on 12/26/2006 last year, almost two years to the day from the one that started the tsunami that continues to suffer rebuilding efforts after over 200,000 people died.

The quake the day after Christmas was enough to sever an internet linking underwater cable system that just now is getting back on line. That is why (I feel) thre was virtually no coverage of it - they didn't want to publicize that it could happen, happen so easily and take so long to repair all the severed fiber optic spaghetti inside (have to splice it - can't run a new cable from CA) and who knows how fortunate we are that something like that does not happen more often (especially considering that we get lots more small quakes at the bottom of the ocean that just 'seal the openings' as the magma cools hitting water.

Quote:
Animated Evolution of 2004 Tsunami Wave
Seismic Activity UP since 7.1 Quake (12-26-2006)

In the Java-Sumatra-Andaman region of South East Asia, indicating possibility of a major disaster in the near future, according to a senior scientist at the Indian Insititute of Technology in Mumbai.

Though volcanic activities in the region had subsided after the devastating earthquake-triggered tsunami of December 2004, more than 51 earthquakes with varying magnitutde have been recorded in the last one month, D Chandrasekharam, senior professor in the Department of Earth Sciences, IIT, told PTI on Wednesday.

This appears to be a natural cyclic process but there is a possibility of it triggering a major disaster, he said.

"Since December 25, 2006, till today morning (January 24) the entire Java-Sumatra-Andaman island subduction zone experienced more than 51 earthquakes varying in magnitude from 4.2 to 7.5 on the Richter scale," the noted earth science expert said.

"These include two major earthquakes -- 7.1 magnitude in Taiwan on December 26 and 7.5 in Molucca sea. Also 4.9 and 6.1 magnitude earthquakes were recorded in Nicobar Islands," Chandrasekharam said.

Majority of these events are associated with "thrust fault", an underground phenomenon that had caused the 2004 tsunami killing nearly 2.5 lakh people across several countries, including India.

"This only shows how active this region is seismically. Are we prepared with our tsunami warning system to alert people well in advance about any impending natural disaster?" Chandrasekharam asked. He said perhaps a mock trial should be carried out by India to test any tsunami warning system that it is installing.

The recent earthquakes should ring an alarm bell. Tsunami warning systems should alert coastal population within 10 minutes of occurrence of any major disaster, he said.

Referring to the earthquake of 8.1 magnitude that hit the Kuril islands on January 13, he said, "The Pacific tsunami system gave warning within nine minutes of the occurrence of this earthquake and lifted the warning within 20 minutes."

Similar thing happened with regard to 7.1 magnitude earthquake in Taiwan on December 26 last year. Tsunami warning was given within 11 minutes of the earthquake and the one-meter wave triggered by it was monitored till it reached one of the Philippine islands south of Taiwan, Chandrasekharam added..............
obeylittle

Location: Middle o' Mitten, Michigan Corp. division of United States of America Corp. division of Global Corp.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 2:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Asian data break was talked about in another thread here somewhere. Might've been in the General Discussion forum... don't remember. Anyway, the recent (seemingly accelerating) frequency of quake activity in that region are not abnormal looking if you take into account the activity spanning the last several years on the Pacific Ring of Fire. Probably not abnormal if we were looking at 100 years or 1000 years of activity in the area neither.

What is different and noticeable nowadays is the media hype surrounding the various seismic activities that have been going on. It seems the media is taking full advantage of these new disinfo and psyop opportunities. Not that we wouldn't expect them to though... Shocked

You've probably heard talk of "quake swarms" and "quake swarming" phenomena, right? Yep, damn them gol' dern medias agents fellahs... "Scientists" have even published various "studies" on swarming with the usual democrat and republican style "hypothesis" providing frictional tectonics for the mastuh's masses.

There are plenty more silly things published everyday so I'll lay off them and let y'all enjoy them yourself.

Its very interesting stuff though, really. The real seismic stuff I mean. I've been following the seismic activities (particularly on the hyperactive Pacific Ring of Fire) for about 3 years now and find the geology fascinating. You can monitor the quake activity on the 'net starting with these sites:
Latest Earthquakes in the World - Past 7 days
Recent Earthquakes in the World - Last 8-30 Days
Latest Earthquakes in the USA - Past 7 days

Careful what you believe when you read the "news" though...

--On edit--

Oh just one more thing... forgot to thank the CIA fellahs for turning me on to the "swarming" thing before ya' fellahs even ran with it. And thanks for the cool geology stuff to. Its fun... lets go boys...
DrewTerry

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 7:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

obeylittle - maybe I am misunderstanding what you meant to say......
This is what I was trying to say:[/color]

drewterry wrote:
It didn't get much of any press coverage or notice in the US that I saw but......almost two years to the day from the one that started the tsunami..........
......sever an internet linking underwater cable system that just now is getting back on line.

......there was virtually no coverage of it......who knows how fortunate we are that something like that does not happen more often.......

My intent was comment on how in the US I never heard about the most recent one that cut the pipe;
which is apparently now fixed, and seems to be a vulnerability;
we don't hear discussion about it so its more of a 'real' possibility;

I suppose that if this had been an "actual dis-info" :roll: warning we would have been inundated with propaganda "advising us on what to fear for our safety in the event of an actual "EMERGE-&-See" Laughing

Thanks for the links and comments...

Quote:
You've probably heard talk of "quake swarms" and "quake swarming" phenomena, right?

Actually, no, I don't recall hearing that terminology;
If I did, it didn't register as phenomena or progaganda.

But, I am notoriously :roll: "dis-interested" Wink

Quote:
recent (seemingly accelerating) frequency of quake activity in that region are not abnormal looking if you take into account the activity spanning the last several years on the Pacific Ring of Fire. Probably not abnormal if we were looking at 100 years or 1000 years of activity in the area neither.

What does the data tell you?
The links above were for 30 days history or 7 days history;
I don't know if any data is ever enough to know anything beyond what it says about those events (i.e. past may hold patterns but is not THE future without THE patterns, at the very least...)

I feel ANY predictions esp. those in the future, catastrophic & for my own good or selling protection:
a) pure speculative weapons grade chickenshit at best, and;
b) unrefined, lumpy whaleshit at worst;

Usually a threat more "odorous" not "odious".....or somehow in between... Very Happy

drewterry wrote:
Arrow I assume anything can happen at any time Shocked
what does happen usually never happens when there is expectation to happen by any predicted to happen "then" so "buy this now".....
Or another angle "who is asking me to believe that which I do not know" and of course, "who benefits" and typically "what is the rush?" lastly "I am not spending any money, thanks."

Does this mean anything to you:
Quote:
EVOLVE = EV LOVE ('evolve' backwards)

EVOLUTION = NO IT U LOVE ('evolution' backwards)
Just a thought.....Happy Days! Laughing
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Next Level Forum Index -> Tomorrow's World All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: