FAQ   Search   Memberlist   Usergroups   Register   Profile   Log in to check your private messages   Log in 
The Singularity and Intellectual Property Law

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Next Level Forum Index -> Tomorrow's World
  ::  Previous topic :: Next topic  
Fernando_the_First

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2008 8:33 am    Post subject: The Singularity and Intellectual Property Law Reply with quote

I did a search on the forums here to see if this topic had been covered, and I apologize if I'm repeating what's already been said, but the single most important thing facing the human species in the next twenty years isn't global warming or fuel prices-- it's the increase in computing power, combined with the perversion of intellectual property laws.

We cannot predict what is coming when computing technology is advancing to far and so fast. This coming upheaval is called The Technological Singularity" because you can't observe it (like a gravitational singularity, but I guess calling our future world the "Technological Black Hole" would put people off).

But....

We can observe that there is something evil going on with the intellectual property laws, and we can extrapolate from that to come up with some chilling possibilities.

First, let's keep in mind that corporations are trying to gain ownership of the genetic code of life on this planet (I'm not making this up but I don't have a reference at hand Razz ). This means that corporations are going to own your physical self if they continue down this present path, claiming and owning DNA.

The creators of software, led by Bill Gates, are attempting to claim that software ownership is not transferred under any circumstances. The software you and I are using now is not "ours" it is borrowed and that implies that permission for use can be withdrawn.

Let's take this a step further. If we attain a "post human" level of technology where computers and the human mind are impossible to untangle, then, in the future, we can look forward to having every single thing we are, including our minds (software) and bodies (DNA) owned by corporate overlords.

Furthermore, since these corporate overlords are nothing less than "the living dead" (see other post on this same forum) we can expect the most grotesque fantasy from a comic book to come to life-- the human race reduced to enslavement by a race of undead (corporations).

I'd say that's a major issue.

Any comments?

Livestock detective Henry Beige (Slim Pickens) in the movie "Rancho Deluxe."
Continuity

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2008 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd say that's a very good point, FtF - the current IP laws have been leading to some disturbing judgements indeed. Shocked

There's also the whole 'Trusted Computing' thing, and all the potential nightmares that that implies, as well as the patenting of genomes etc.

What they've done with Vi$ta with the 'protected media paths', and 'tilt bits' is a very early symptom of what we're going to be seeing more of.

Cat Haiku
J Ruthless

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Peer Guardian 2 http://phoenixlabs.org/pg2/

If you don't have this freeware, I highly recommend that you use it. I have it turned on at all times, and it doesn't interfere with my normal routine, occasionally you will have to check yes or no to verify a website, but that is it.
It was originally created for peer 2 peer networks, and other file sharing programs. But it also works for the internet. It blocks the IP's that could be used to compromise your identity, and also allows IP's that are blocked that shouldn't be. This program makes your IP "invisible" to agencies and corporations such as RIAA, and FBI. Very easy to use, and install. Not a solution, but a step in the right direction.

macauleym

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 7:40 pm    Post subject: Re: The Singularity and Intellectual Property Law Reply with quote

Fernando_the_First wrote:
the single most important thing facing the human species in the next twenty years isn't global warming or fuel prices-- it's the increase in computing power, combined with the perversion of intellectual property laws.

We cannot predict what is coming when computing technology is advancing to far and so fast. This coming upheaval is called The Technological Singularity" because you can't observe it (like a gravitational singularity, but I guess calling our future world the "Technological Black Hole" would put people off)....

If we attain a "post human" level of technology where computers and the human mind are impossible to untangle, then, in the future, we can look forward to having every single thing we are, including our minds (software) and bodies (DNA) owned by corporate overlords.

Any comments?

I won't comment here on genetics and intellectual property, but to respond to your reference to the so-called technological "singularity", I would share my conviction that this is a nothing more than a fantasy -- widespread among computer geeks, sci-fi fans, and those sympathetic to the notion of AI and to the belief that living creatures are merely complex machines, but unfortunately (or fortunately) not grounded in reality.

I believed it myself for a while, and I'm dismayed (though not too surprised, given the prevailing cultural and intellectual climate) that many thoughtful and creative people, including Peter Russell and Michael Dowd, to name only two, have gotten caught up in the hype and still (last I checked) actively promote this radical (mis)understanding of the nature of intelligence and the implications of computer-technological advancement.

One of the major things that changed my mind was Steve Talbott's book, The Future Does Not Compute. In my opinion, he is almost unequalled among contemporary writers in his insight to the nature of technology and its present manifestations, along with prevailing attitudes and (mis)conceptions.

For a more specific look at the "singularity" idea, there is a three-part series of articles by Talbott, published in the online newsletter, NetFuture, addressing that topic:

"Toward the Great Singularity"
http://www.netfuture.org/1997/Jun1897_51.html#2b

Also relevant, and (I think) interesting, are many of the other articles published in NetFuture over the years, which are grouped by topic (e.g. Artificial intelligence) here:

http://www.netfuture.org/inx_topical_all.html#Artificial_intelligence

and which include a very enlightening extended dialogue between Steve Talbott and Kevin Kelly (founder of Wired Magazine) about the differences (or, as Kelly would have it, continuity) between machines and organisms:

"Are Machines Living Things?"
http://www.netfuture.org/2002/Jun2502_133.html#2
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Next Level Forum Index -> Tomorrow's World All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: