FAQ   Search   Memberlist   Usergroups   Register   Profile   Log in to check your private messages   Log in 
Is the Truth About Jill Carroll Finally Getting Out?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Next Level Forum Index -> General Discussion
  ::  Previous topic :: Next topic  
Fintan
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2006 1:38 pm    Post subject: Is the Truth About Jill Carroll Finally Getting Out? Reply with quote

Finally, somebody besides BreakForNews.com is taking a line on the Jill Carroll abduction along the lines of what we have been saying...

(See: http://wagnews.blogspot.com/2006/01/black-ops-implicated-in-jill-carroll.html)

...since I wrote an investigative article on 12th January: that this has the look of a US-inspired kidnapping.

Now it's a bit tame compared to the kind of detail we outlined, but in an article on WSWS today, Joe Kay writes:

"As usual in such instances, information on the nature of the organization that has kidnapped Carroll is extremely murky. Little is known about the Revenge Brigade’s origins, and there remains the possibility that it has some ties to occupation forces. What can be said is that the kidnapping and possible execution of Carroll will only play into the hands of the US military. It will be used in an attempt to disorient the American people and divert mounting opposition to the policies of the government, both abroad and within the United States."

American freelance journalist kidnapped in Iraq
By Joe Kay
20 January 2006

Use this version to print | Send this link by email | Email the author

The kidnapping and threatened execution of American journalist Jill Carroll is a reactionary act that will do nothing to advance the struggle against the American occupation of Iraq. Like previous kidnappings and executions carried out by some groups in Iraq, the killing of Carroll will serve only as a further pretext for the US military to continue the occupation and escalate the repression of the Iraqi people.

Carroll, a 28-year-old freelance journalist working for the Christian Science Monitor, was captured Saturday by a group calling itself the Revenge Brigade. On Wednesday, the group released a video showing the journalist and including a demand that US forces release all women prisoners within 72 hours or she would be killed. The deadline is set to expire some time on Friday.

Carroll bears no responsibility for the policies of the Bush administration and the American military. By all accounts, she has been among the more critical and thoughtful American journalists reporting from Iraq, eschewing the common practice of remaining confined to the Green Zone and operating under US military protection. She is fluent in Arabic and has written on developments in the Middle East for over three years.

In her coverage from Iraq she has at times sought to highlight the enormous devastation the war has inflicted upon the Iraqi people. Her attempt to go outside the strictly controlled confines of what passes for US media coverage of the occupation of Iraq was what made her vulnerable. She was kidnapped after attempting to interview a Sunni politician in a region of Baghdad in which opposition to the US military is well entrenched.

On Thursday Carroll’s mother, Mary Beth Carroll, read a statement to CNN in which she appealed to the kidnappers “to release this young woman who has worked so hard to show the suffering of Iraqis to the world.... They’ve picked the wrong person ... if they’re looking for someone who is an enemy of Iraq,” she said.

Organizations throughout the US and internationally also called for her release on Thursday, including several Arabic and Iraqi groups. A coalition of Egyptian human rights organizations said, “The American freelance journalist is known for her extreme sympathy towards the Iraqi people and opposition to their suffering since the outbreak of the war and the invasion of Iraq.” Groups within the United States, including the Council on American-Islamic Relations, also called for her release.

As usual in such instances, information on the nature of the organization that has kidnapped Carroll is extremely murky. Little is known about the Revenge Brigade’s origins, and there remains the possibility that it has some ties to occupation forces. What can be said is that the kidnapping and possible execution of Carroll will only play into the hands of the US military. It will be used in an attempt to disorient the American people and divert mounting opposition to the policies of the government, both abroad and within the United States.

As the 72-hour deadline set by the kidnappers nears, the Bush administration is demonstrating once again its indifference to the lives of those caught up in the war in Iraq. With the US government standing by, Carroll is set to become one more casualty of the chaos produced by the American invasion. Indeed, the administration is pursuing a policy in relation to Carroll that will increase the likelihood of her execution at the hands of her captors.

According to US officials, only eight women are presently in the custody of US forces. An unnamed official of the Human Rights Ministry of the US-backed Iraqi government said on Wednesday that six of these prisoners had recently been recommended for release, and only awaited the approval of the US military and the Iraqi Ministry of Justice.

On Thursday, however, the Pentagon was quick to deny that the release of any of the women prisoners was imminent. Military spokesman Joe Carpenter told Reuters, “There is no expected resolution of their cases in the near future.” With complete disregard for the life of the American journalist, Carpenter declared, “There is no accelerated process with regards to the women and how it relates to the kidnapped journalist in question.”

Carpenter’s remarks are in line with the contempt the US government has demonstrated for the lives of journalists who are covering the war in Iraq—particularly those, like Carroll, who have maintained a certain degree of objectivity in their reports. Large numbers of journalists have been killed over the past three years. On a number of occasions, journalists have been the target of US military actions, including the shelling in 2003 of the Palestine Hotel, where hundreds of foreign journalists were staying.

In the latest instance of violence against journalists, Iraqi journalist Muhammad Mahmud Kawa was injured when he was fired on by American soldiers on Wednesday.

The American ruling class, which has launched the war and is determined to continue the occupation, has no care or sympathy for the lives of people like Carroll. In the pursuit of the geopolitical interests of American capitalism, they will willingly sacrifice her life as they have the lives of thousands of American soldiers and tens of thousands of Iraqis.

The actions of Carroll’s kidnappers must be condemned. They will only serve to work against the development of a genuine international opposition to American imperialism, which has wreaked such devastation on the lives of Iraqis and Americans alike.

http://wsws.org/articles/2006/jan2006/jour-j20.shtml
Jerry Fletcher

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2006 12:21 pm    Post subject: Now, the truth will NEVER get out Reply with quote

She's Free! Hooray! Not a scratch on her! Saint's be praised! I'm glad she's OK, but...

This whole ordeal reeks of so much Black-Op / Psy-Op bullsh*t I can barely breathe.

Quote:

Jill Carroll Speaks on Kidnapping Ordeal
by Fintan Dunne, March 30

Reporter Jill Carroll was freed Thursday morning and is healthy.

Carroll, a freelancer with the Christian Science Monitor, was taken by militants on Jan. 7 in Baghdad. Her captors had threatened to kill her unless the United States released all Iraqi female prisoners. Carroll was handed over to the Iraqi Islamic Party office in Amiriya, western Baghdad, by "an unknown group."

Leaving the question: Who exactly kidnapped her?

It doesn't look like Carroll will be able to shed any light on that:
link

Quote:
(glad they didn't damage that Colgate smile!)
Jill Carroll released after nearly three months in captivity

MARIAM FAM
Associated Press

BAGHDAD, Iraq - American reporter Jill Carroll was set free Thursday, nearly three months after she was kidnapped in a bloody ambush that killed her translator. She said she had been treated well.

Carroll, 28, who grew up in Ann Arbor, Mich., was dropped off near the Iraqi Islamic Party offices. She walked inside, and people there called American officials, Iraqi police said.

"I was treated well, but I don't know why I was kidnapped," Carroll said in a brief interview on Baghdad television.

Uh, perhaps you should ask your supervising officer, miss.

Quote:

Carroll said she was kept in a furnished room with a window and a shower, but she did not know where she was.

"I felt I was not free. It was difficult because I didn't know what would happen to me," she said.

She said she was allowed to watch TV once and read a newspaper once.

Asked about the circumstances of her release, she said, "They just came to me and said we're going. They didn't tell me what was going on."

From: AP Wire | 03/30/2006 | Jill Carroll released after nearly three months in captivity
http://www.mercurynews.com/mld/mercurynews/news/special_packages/iraq/14222111.htm

Pretty kushy 'hostage' situation. Was the friggin door locked, Jill? What made you feel you weren't free? What kind of loony comment is that anyway? I don't feel like I'm free, either. Doesn't look like you lost a whole lot of weight or nuthin. This 'captivity' is starting to look better than my slave labor workday. I wonder what she watched during that 'one time' TV priviledge. Lost? 24? MTV? You'd think these diabolically evil kidnappers would have just played her the Nick Berg tape on a loop. Thankfully, these were 'nice' insurgent kidnappers, whomever they were.

Quote:
Her captors, calling themselves the Revenge Brigades,...

or
Quote:
On Feb. 28, Iraq's Interior Minister Bayan Jabr said Carroll was being held by the Islamic Army in Iraq,...
From: AP Wire | 03/30/2006 | Jill Carroll released after nearly three months in captivity
http://www.mercurynews.com/mld/mercurynews/news/special_packages/iraq/14222111.htm

or
Quote:
Carroll's abductors, a group calling itself Brigades of Vengeance,
From: CNN.com - 'Wonderful day':Journalist Carroll freed in Iraq - Mar 30, 2006
http://www.cnn.com/2006/WORLD/meast/03/30/carroll/index.html

and then:
Quote:
Police Lt. Col. Falah al-Mohammedawi said Carroll, 28, was handed over to the Iraqi Islamic Party office in Amiriya, western Baghdad, by an unknown group.

Them insurgent fellas got few things to learn about marketing - choose your 'Jihad Soundbite Name' and stick to it!!! Otherwise, you won't get the 'credit' for your insurgent-y hijinx.

Yeah, whatever. They were evil, isurgent, Islamic radicals with some axe to grind relating to revenge - radicals who violently kidnap sexy western hostages, then treat them with the utmost of respect. Did these kidnappers miss the Nick Berg tape entirely? That's some revenge for ya - violently respect their women on worldwide television - for all the world to watch in horr-, er, I mean in gratitu-,er I mean in total confusion!. Ha!

In the video interview, she actually said, "They'd bring me my food ... it was fine..." Fine? The horror of captivity? Fine? Aren't you the least bit pissed off, missy? Or are you simply psyched at your free new wardrobe? Ms. Carroll is certainly handling this well - yeah, I know, shock and all - but it kind of seems like another day at the office for Jill. "Oh yeah, I was kidnapped - kinda sucked - no biggie though."

What am I missing here? Nothing adds up.

Quote:

Carroll is the fourth Western hostage to be freed in eight days. On March 23, U.S. and British soldiers, acting on intelligence gained from a detainee, freed Briton Norman Kember, 74, and Canadians James Loney, 41, and Harmeet Singh Sooden, 32, from a house west of Baghdad.

The three belonged to the Christian Peacemakers Teams group and had been kidnapped with an American colleague, Tom Fox, 54, on Nov. 26. Fox was killed and his body was dumped in western Baghdad on March 9.

Well, I'm certainly glad our friends at the Christian Peacemakers Team came up with the 'intel' that allowed Ms. Carroll to be 'rescued'.
Quote:
was dropped off near the Iraqi Islamic Party offices. She walked inside, and people there called American officials, Iraqi police said.

Wow. Dramatic.
Quote:
It was the first time since hostage-taking began in Iraq that an American hostage was released by the kidnappers.

From: Kidnapped US journalist Jill Carroll released in Iraq
http://news.monstersandcritics.com/northamerica/article_1151247.php/Kidnapped_US_journalist_Jill_Carroll_released_in_Iraq

Well what the heck do you know. What a rare, lucky break for such a young, inexperienced journalist.

Or is she?
Quote:

Carroll went to the Middle East in 2002 after being laid off from a newspaper job. She had long dreamed of covering a war.

In American Journalism Review last year, Carroll wrote that she moved to Jordan in late 2002, six months before the war started, "to learn as much about the region as possible before the fighting began."

Carroll has had work from Iraq published in the Monitor, AJR, U.S. News & World Report, an Italian news wire and other publications. She has been interviewed often on National Public Radio.

Quote:
"There was bound to be plenty of parachute journalism once the war started, and I didn't want to be a part of that," she wrote.

Well, it looks like you were a part of that, Jill - not as a journalist no, but rather as the star! Oh yeah, um, how exactly did you know when the war was going to start anyway? Supposedly, even Saddam was caught off guard.

Sure, I sound cynical, but it's only cause I am. This is certainly shaping up to be the BIG STORY OF THE DAY.

The other curious 'purpose' this story seems to have is to make everybody aware that Bush and Condi are both out of the country - meeting with their 'counterparts' (other global criminals) regarding (gulp) Iran! These news guys are brilliant - always planting the seeds of the next op.

Quote:

US Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice had earlier confirmed the release in Berlin, where she was attending a meeting on Iran,

From: Kidnapped US journalist Jill Carroll released in Iraq
http://news.monstersandcritics.com/northamerica/article_1151247.php/Kidnapped_US_journalist_Jill_Carroll_released_in_Iraq

Frightening.
Quote:
President Bush rejoiced Thursday in the release of American hostage Jill Carroll in Iraq. "Thank God," the president said.

"I'm just really grateful she was released," he said. He thanked those "who worked so hard for her release. I'm glad she's alive."

Bush spoke at this Caribbean resort where he is meeting with Mexican President Vicente Fox and Canadian Prime Minister Stephen Harper.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/03/30/AR2006033000773.html

Yeah, while snickering and sipping a Mai Tai. Nauseating.

Well, Jill, I'm glad you're safe, but right now I can't help thinking either you're the luckiest dimwit in journalistic history, or you're in on the entire op.

Last edited by Jerry Fletcher on Thu Mar 30, 2006 1:33 pm; edited 1 time in total
Fintan
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2006 1:02 pm    Post subject: Good Questions Reply with quote

Excelent analysis.
Indeed, nothing adds up.

Here's a not very distraught Carroll on Iraqi TV today:

Yet, here's her twin sister Katie:
"I've been living a nightmare, worrying if she is hurt or ill," Katie Carroll
said, according to a transcript released by the Christian Science Monitor.

Notice that Carroll retained her Iraqi-style headgear.

Little clue there: A Photo Op in headgear looks more dramatic.
I'm sure the media planners had thought of that.
And of building in subliminal echoes of the Virgin Mary, Mother of Christ. (Cute, eh?)

And she looks reasonably tanned for three months in a room.

Carroll was very unconvincing in her TV interview.
At one stage she nervously licked her lips during a pregnant pause
just after she had spun her constant line yet again: "I knew nothing."

Now, remember back to the case of Guiliana Sgrena -who was almost killed
on her way to Baghdad Airport after her release.

So, you would figure that Carroll would be immediately taken to the
safety of the Green Zone -where she could give her press conference.

No. She WENT to the headquarters of the Sunni Iraq Islamic Party,
where she went on to give a television interview there
to a TV station owned by the same party.

Which was a bit of a propaganda/publicity boost for that party.
As seen below. Just look at the number of mikes:

So who the F. are the Iraqi Islamic Party??

Quote:
"The Muslim Association of Britain, ....is the British offshoot of the Muslim
Brotherhood, the oldest and richest Islamic-fundamentalist political
movement in the Arab world. The Iraq Islamic Party is its Iraqi offshoot.

As it happens, the Iraq Islamic Party, which represents the "softest" strand of Sunni Islamism in Iraq, now says that it wants the US forces not to leave Iraq but to first “fix what they have destroyed”.
http://www.workersliberty.org/node/view/5887

Which sounds like a fudge. "Leave, but not yet."

And Carroll goes out of her way to help this crew. Who are likely favored
by the US --much more than the Muslim Scholars Assoc. --whose mosque
they raided after Carroll disappeared.

No wonder the General Secretary of the Islamic Party presented Carroll
with a jeweled copy of the Koran after the interview. (Source)

Thanks a lot girl. Nice job. You can go home now.

By the way, a minor correction Jerry? It was the Christian Peacemakers who got released on "intel" -not Carroll.
"On March 23, U.S. and British soldiers, acting on intelligence gained from a detainee, freed Briton Norman Kember,
74, and Canadians James Loney, 41, and Harmeet Singh Sooden, 32, from a house west of Baghdad."

Last edited by Fintan on Thu Mar 30, 2006 2:33 pm; edited 6 times in total
Jerry Fletcher

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2006 1:29 pm    Post subject: Is my bias showing?;) Reply with quote

Oops. You're right - I misread that paragraph. It is written rather obliquely, though, IMO.

Ok, Christian Peacemakers are off the hook as obvious intel - apologies for overreaching accusations, and thanks Fintan, for catching my fumble.

I know they got God on their side and all, but jeez guys, get the heck outta western Baghdad already! Instead of wandering around as potential kidnap fodder, maybe they ought to move those peacemaking activities somewhere a little more useful, like Washington, DC.

Now I'm wondering about this intelligent detainee. Anybody wanna guess who he works for? Wink
Fintan
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2006 4:00 pm    Post subject: Jill Carroll Release Interview Audio Reply with quote

Jill Carroll Release Interview Audio Raises Questions

Here's an audio from Jill Carroll's on-release interview with Iraq TV.

LISTEN AUDIO ENHANCED INTERVIEW JILL CARROLL:
http://breakfornews.com/audio/carroll060330.mp3

The soundtrack is enhanced so you can hear the interviewer and the
interjection by a female "handler" who stops Carroll from talkng too much.

The Iraqi journalist soon realizes that he is being stonewalled. So with deft
soft sarcasm he humorously reminds Carroll that she is a journalist --
implying that she should be well able to speak at more length.

"....I didn't really know what was going on, says Carroll.
(Licks lips nervously in the pause...)

"Yes......(pause).. Eh, well.....(pause)... Now, you are a journalist?" he asks.

"Yeah," Carroll rather sheepishly replies.

At that point Jill's "handler" interjects. (perhaps realizing that Carroll is
putting in a terrible "ex-hostage" performance).

"Is this too early to talk about this Jill? I mean do you wanna.... (unintelligible)," interjects the handler.

"Yes," agrees Carroll, taking the hint and ending the interview.

Quote:
The video version shows a very unconvincing Carroll, nervously licking
her lips during a pregnant pause --just after she had spun her constant
line yet again: "I didn't really know what was going on."

LISTEN AUDIO ENHANCED INTERVIEW JILL CARROLL:
http://breakfornews.com/audio/carroll060330.mp3

Last edited by Fintan on Thu Mar 30, 2006 5:41 pm; edited 1 time in total
Jerry Fletcher

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2006 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to throw in a tiny bit of context to these events:

Quote:

Indeed, on the same day that Carroll was enjoying her newly won freedom, CNN reported that 40 more Iraqis were kidnapped. And judging by recent grim events, their prospects for a happy ending like Carroll's aren't very good.

From: TIME.com: How the Sunnis Will Use Jill Carroll -- Page 1
http://www.time.com/time/world/article/0,8599,1178564,00.html

Yeah, well, my heart goes out to those missing 40 too. I guess tomorrow there'll be 40 more. Sigh.
navari

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2006 11:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just watch the interview on CNN. Jill's definitely uncomfortable while answering these seemingly innocuous questions.

I'm a newbie here and would have never thought that this incident might have been faked. But after seeing this thread, and listening to some of the audio on this site, I'm now open to the possibility that something doesn't add up.

But what's the motive, other than this give the media some good news to report out of Iraq.
bornfree

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2006 9:53 am    Post subject: Who's Holding Who? Reply with quote

The answer to this tread regarding who was holding her lies in the movie V for Vendetta.
Ozregeneration

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2006 7:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Who's Holding Who? Reply with quote

bornfree wrote:
The answer to this tread regarding who was holding her lies in the movie V for Vendetta.

Yes and one of the better quotes from the movie came from Evey whos father was a writer and would always tell her the following:

Quote:
Writers use lies to tell the truth
Politicians use lies to conceal the truth

For those interested a very good interpretation of the movie by Jack Smith can be heard at movie analysis.
Jerry Fletcher

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2006 7:08 pm    Post subject: Jack Smith's Analysis of V Reply with quote

Jack's analysis was more entertaining than the movie to me. He's right - after the 'big blowup', everybody took off their mask. They became people again. Hehe.

As for the movie? Eh.
I was pretty much B for Bored.
Jerry Fletcher

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2006 5:31 pm    Post subject: Look who's talking 2... Reply with quote

She's baaaack...

Apparently they've caught her nameless, faceless abductors from an insurgent group nobody's ever heard of.

Quote:

Arrests made in Carroll kidnapping

Four suspects were arrested in Iraq for alleged involvement in the kidnapping of Christian Science Monitor journalist Jill Carroll, the US military said.
By The Associated Press

BAGHDAD - US troops have arrested four Iraqi men suspected in the kidnapping of American journalist Jill Carroll, who was freed in March after 82 days in captivity, a US spokesman said Wednesday.

Maj. Gen. William Caldwell said the four, who were not identified, were arrested in Anbar province west of Baghdad. Another US official, Lt. Col. Barry Johnson, said the arrests were made about a month ago.

General Caldwell said Ms. Carroll, who works for this newspaper, was held at three locations, including one about seven miles west of Fallujah, before she was freed March 30.

Carroll was kidnapped Jan. 7 in west Baghdad and her Iraqi interpreter was shot dead. She was released near a Sunni Arab political party office in Baghdad and returned to the United States on April 2.

The breakthrough came after a lieutenant from the 1st Marine Expeditionary Force identified a house from intelligence reports and photographs that he had seen earlier. "Sound intelligence was paramount here," Caldwell said.

The lieutenant and others in his unit knocked on the door of the house, asked the owner's permission to look around, and saw "very distinct features" that led them to believe it was probably one of the places Carroll had been held, Caldwell said.

The home's owner was detained. "After questioning that suspect, marines identified additional locations where Jill Carroll was believed to have been held," Caldwell said.

Marines from the 1st Battalion, 25th Marine Regiment, went to a second location and arrested one person, Caldwell said. Three others were arrested at yet another place north of Abu Ghraib in a raid by the US Army's 4th Infantry Division and two hostages were freed.

Caldwell showed a video and photographs taken by the Marines of one the homes where Carroll was believed to have been held. The house had a green gate and floral designs on its green door, while one of the rooms shown inside had little furniture besides a TV, a bed, an electric fan, and a water cooler.

Four of the detainees were arrested for alleged involvement in the kidnapping. The role of the fifth suspect was unclear. "US and Iraqi authorities are currently discussing prosecutorial options and will make the determination shortly," Caldwell said.

In Boston, the Monitor's editor Richard Bergenheim said, "Jill Carroll and her Monitor colleagues are very grateful for all of the efforts the US government made to secure Jill's freedom after she was held against her will for 82 days." In his statement, Mr. Bergenheim added, "Like reporters everywhere, we are reassured to hear that several of those who held Jill have been apprehended. The daily threat of kidnapping in Iraq remains acute for all. Everything possible needs to be done to relieve Iraqis and others of this scourge."

Bergenheim said that Carroll's story will be published in the Monitor beginning Monday, Aug. 14, and on its website, csmonitor.com, beginning Sunday evening, Aug. 13.

The kidnappers, a formerly unknown group calling themselves the Revenge Brigade, had demanded the release of all female detainees in Iraq, saying Carroll would be killed otherwise. US officials did release some female detainees but said the decision was unrelated to the demands.

http://www.csmonitor.com/2006/0810/p00s01-woiq.html

Ok - call me cynical but if the 'Revenge Brigade' is an example of the ruthless cunning of the insurgents, then I don't understand what the problem is over there.

Either this whole affair is an intel wank, or the 'Retard Brigade' is gonna be the laughing stock of the jihad community.

Admittedly, I'm no expert in political kidnapping, but I assume the rules of common sense would still apply. If one were to kidnap a journalist and keep her cooped up thier house for 82 days watching Oprah, wouldn't one make her promise not to tell before dropping her off back at work?

No? Oh yeah. THEY'D PROBABLY KILL HER!
They certainly had no issues with murdering her translator.

Apparently she was able to describe the decor and the surroundings quite well - oh yeah, she's a REPORTER! 'Remembering' is like, half her job - the other half being 'telling'.

At the very least, these jihad brainiacs might have considered basic certain tactical precautions, like MOVING! Jeez.

It's almost as if Larry, Curly, and Mohammed wanted to get caught. I mean, they botched it so badly, that the entire event just becomes another western propaganda vehicle used to justify the Iraqi occupation....

Oh.

The CSM website's special 'online package' appears to be bearing the fruit of the op.

Quote:

"At night I would fall asleep and be free in my dreams. Then I'd wake up and my situation would land on me like a weight."

PART 1 THE KIDNAPPING

They killed my interpreter

A planned interview with an Iraqi politician turns deadly.

My chief captor had an idea about how to prod the US government into action: another video.

He said this one would be different, and left.

I turned to the two guards sitting on cushions a few feet away and started to panic. Really, really panic.

"Oh my God, oh my God, they're going to kill me, this is going to be it. I don't know when but they're going to do it," I thought.

[...]
http://www.csmonitor.com/specials/carroll/index.html

Mainstream media in general, and Gannet Co. in particular, appear to be handling the publicity and marketing of this feature.

Quote:

US reporter recounts Iraq kidnap

Jill Carroll tells of the terror she felt even when her captors were civil
US journalist Jill Carroll, held hostage in Iraq for 82 days, has given the first public account of her ordeal.

From: BBC NEWS | World | Middle East | US reporter recounts Iraq kidnap
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/middle_east/4791197.stm

Fetching new hair color... is that 'herring' red? Wink

Quote:

The Jill Carroll Story Part 1: The kidnapping

Updated 8/14/2006 9:20 AM ET

By Jill Carroll and Peter Grier, The Christian Science Monitor
Jill Carroll, a freelance reporter for The Christian Science Monitor, was kidnapped by Sunni Muslim insurgents in Baghdad on Jan. 7, 2006. Over the next 82 days, she was shuttled blindfolded among at least six safe houses and had closer contact with Sunni insurgents than any American who has lived to tell the tale. This is her story.

My chief captor had an idea about how to prod the U.S. government into action: another video.

He said this one would be different, and left.

I turned to the two guards sitting on cushions a few feet away and started to panic. Really, really panic.

"Oh my God, oh my God, they're going to kill me, this is going to be it. I don't know when but they're going to do it," I thought.

I crawled over to Abu Hassan, the one who seemed more grown-up and sympathetic. His 9mm pistol was by his side, as usual.

"You're my brother, you're truly my brother," I said in Arabic. "Promise me you will use this gun to kill me by your own hand. I don't want that knife, I don't want the knife, use the gun."

I started to cry hysterically. By now I'd been held captive by Iraqi insurgents for six weeks. They'd given me a new hijab, a new name (Aisha), and tried to convert me to Islam. They'd let me play with their children and repeatedly accused me of working for the CIA.

From: USATODAY.com - The Jill Carroll Story Part 1: The kidnapping
http://www.usatoday.com/news/world/2006-08-13-jill-carroll_x.htm

Apparently Iraqi toddlers are ruthless interrogators...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Next Level Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: