FAQ   Search   Memberlist   Usergroups   Register   Profile   Log in to check your private messages   Log in 
Century of the Self...not bad for the bbc
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Next Level Forum Index -> General Discussion
  ::  Previous topic :: Next topic  
Nat

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2006 5:44 pm    Post subject: Century of the Self...not bad for the bbc Reply with quote

i remember Aniam and Ormond mentioned Century of the Self over in the Jesus Jihad thread, and i thought i should give it its own home here, below are the googlevideos for the four episodes...

Century of the Self
Part One
Part Two
Part Three
Part Four

...if you haven't yet, you should

zip codec to convert .gvi to .avi

Last edited by Nat on Sat Mar 10, 2007 11:18 pm; edited 2 times in total
Ozregeneration

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2006 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like a very interesting series. And big files to boot.

Don't suppose anyone would like to volunteer burning me a copy of the series on DVD. Question Smile

Nat

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2006 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi Ozregeneration

you can download the four (link on right hand side of each window), and save them to a pc-dvd - all four should fit (at a guess), good idea is also to save the 'googleplayer' software to the same disc, then you're mildly futureproof as you'll be able to watch them on any machine even if something were to go wrong with googlevid itself
Ozregeneration

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2006 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

matt wrote:
hi Ozregeneration

you can download the four (link on right hand side of each window), and save them to a pc-dvd - all four should fit (at a guess), good idea is also to save the 'googleplayer' software to the same disc, then you're mildly futureproof as you'll be able to watch them on any machine even if something were to go wrong with googlevid itself

Thanks Matt, my problem is that I only have 1 Gb download available per month (yes I need to update) so I may wait till I run out and then do it (that is when I go back to sloooowww dial-up speed) overnight.

Cheers

Nat

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2006 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oh right, i get ya now, but i've reached the limits of my knowledge unfortunately

Last edited by Nat on Sat Apr 17, 2010 6:20 am; edited 2 times in total
Continuity

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2006 6:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Video, because it's compressed already doesn't really benefit from being ZIPped or RARred - it won't get any smaller, significantly.

The only reason that you may see video in archives is so that they can be split into 'chunks' for emailing or something of that ilk.

Also, you don't really need GooglePlayer - the videos that they host are in standard DivX avi format. If they have the .gvi extension, you can just rename them with an .avi one, and any standard video player that has the DivX and MP3 (for the audio) CODECs will play them just fine.

t is simple to convert a GVI or GVP file. First, download file. Then open file with notepad. There will be a URL address. Copy the URL into your browser. You will then get a download window from a Google server for the files real format; AVI, MPEG, WMV, ect. Also, the URL will turn blue.

Cat Haiku
Nat

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2006 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

once again Continuity shows us the way ! thanks C Smile

now i've got a few .gvi's to make into .avi's...thank thunk for that, googlevideo drives me nuts
Fintan
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2007 10:53 pm    Post subject: Good -with some caveats Reply with quote

The four parts of the series are also here:

http://www.informationliberation.com/?id=8339

But it's worth pointing out that this series suffers the same problem as
another BBC series "The Power of Nightmares". It was blaming all
our problems on the Neocons, and that's so simplistic.

The series fails to point at the CIA except in the case of Guatemala,
and a reference to widely known MKULTRA.

Actually the whole of South America and much of the developing world
has been the relentless target of CIA media manipulation ploys.

There's some criticism by Media Lens here (But they are a bit insipid too).

http://www.medialens.org/alerts/02/020403_de_Media_Century.html
http://www.medialens.org/alerts/02/020618_update_BBC.html
http://www.medialens.org/alerts/02/020403_de_Media_Century.html

Another problem is that the political spin doctors are credited with
coming up with the messages promoted to get politicians elected.
That's the "Karl Rove is Evil" meme.

Guys like Rove are just cover. The political marketing system is directed
by the NWO PsyOp managers. The program makes it look like the
public are the problem and politicians scramble to appease them.

That couldn't be further from the truth.

Nevertheless, it's a great summary of the
secret art of public persuasion. Worth watching.
Ormond

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2007 2:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Media Alert: The Unspoken Rule of Media Reporting: The BBC's The Century of the Self

Focusing heavily on the machinations of public relations guru Edward Bernays, the BBC2 series, The Century of the Self, began its second programme with this account of post-war U.S. history:

"Politicians and planners came to believe that Freud was right to suggest that hidden deep within all human beings were dangerous and irrational desires and fears. They were convinced that it was the unleashing of these instincts that had lead to the barbarism of Nazi Germany. To stop it ever happening again, they set out to find ways to control the hidden enemy within the human mind." (The Century of the Self - The Engineering of Consent, BBC2, March 24, 2002)

It is a remarkable claim, and one that could only be taken seriously in a culture that has been largely stripped of political awareness. In fact post-1945 (like pre-1945) "politicians and planners" set out to +promote+ dangerous and irrational desires and fears in the service of profits and power, not peace.

Thanks for the intelligent critique and references, Fintan.

I noticed the spin segments, while watching Century of the Self. So much of what we watch, read, or listen to in order to get information is loaded with spin that I'm habituated to ignoring the spin when I'm 'downloading' the factual parts they give us. But I did not the 'whitewash'. That is, how the editors of the series spun it to present a paradigm that "Politicians and planners" are essentially dedicated to whatever works for a stable, sane, and beneficial society for all.

Yeah--RIGHT!

I haven't watched this in about a month or so, I think. I'll watch it again to see what I get out of it this time.
Noticing the spin can often be as telling as watching it 'straight'. For the very observant spin can give the game away.

Nat

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2007 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah, i have to confess to being in auto-filter, the main thing (about especially the first two ?) is that at least to the uninitiated, they are revealing from the point of view that these concepts of mass management exist at all - to some these ideas are something they'd never accept, unless the tv said so Shocked
Ormond

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2007 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hadn't been aware of Edward Bernays (Sigmund Freud's nephew) importance in the history of 'public relations'. I also wasn't aware that Joseph Goebbel's learned his stuff from Bernays. My impression from books and American documentaries was that Goebbel's was the 'father' of modern media propaganda.
I'd never heard this 'lineage' presented quite like this. Bernays and the Freuds directly guiding American advertising (and propaganda). Then Wilhelm Reich.
I don't doubt this 'new' information--it's just upgraded from what I picked up in college and elsewhere...

I knew about Reich and his 'orgone' orgasmic theories--and that he was arrested by the FBI, and his books burned by order of the US Federal Government, and that he was discredited, imprisoned, and died a broken man.
So on Century of the Self we learn that in spite of that, his was the blueprint used for the social engineers of the 1960's 'sexual revolution'? And subsequent 'if it feels good do it' era? I hadn't been aware of that, and I found that revelation fascinating too.

One thing the series doesn't tell us is, just who is this 'board of directors'--'politicians and planners'---who monitored and made these decisions about what direction the public would be taught (and allowed) to behave and think from? They never told us that clearly.

Now, I have old friends who are experts in 'corporate branding'--advertising, essentially. They don't even know who Bernays was.
That's not so unusual, since professions in our society are so specialized that those from the university department of 'design and marketing' don't get the same training and program as those from 'public relations'.

In the fine art dept, (mine), it's a different program, different emphasis, different characters mentioned in the 'history'.
In Radio/Television, it's another set. In Cinema studies, another set.

My my. Once can see why these professionals working as the cream of the crop in their respective fields actually don't have the 'big picture'.

Evidently university education is designed so that the "left hand doesn't know what the right hand is doing."

Fintan
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 6:37 pm    Post subject: CIA Brainwashing Lawsuit Reply with quote

Remember in part 3 of the series, the issue of Dr. Ewen Cameron, who
came up with the idea of "psychic driving". All he succeeded in doing was
mangling the minds of innocent victims.

Now they're suing.

Quote:
Canadian victim of CIA brainwashing
seeks class-action against government

Sun Jan 7, 5:23 PM

By Dene Moore

MONTREAL (CP) - Janine Huard says she was a young mother of four with mild post-partum depression when she checked herself in for psychiatric treatment at a Montreal hospital more than five decades ago.

Huard says what happened after that still haunts her today and she will be in a federal courtroom this week seeking to launch a class-action lawsuit against the Canadian government for Cold War-era brainwashing experiments carried out on her and hundreds of other patients.

"I was a guinea pig," Huard told The Canadian Press.

On and off over more than a decade at McGill University's renowned Allan Memorial Institute, Huard says she received massive electroshocks and was fed more than 40 experimental pills a day.

Huard, who will be 79 at the end of the month, says she was drugged and subjected to so-called "depatterning," during which repetitive recordings were played in her ear for weeks on end, one of them telling her she was of no use to her family.

"I came out of there so sick that my mother had to live with me for 10 years," Huard says. "I couldn't take care of my children any more."

Huard says she lost memories and suffered from migraines.

The ordeal came at the hands of Dr. Ewen Cameron, an Edinburgh-educated, New York-based doctor who pioneered "psychic driving," by which he believed he could erase the memories of patients and rebuild their psyches without psychiatric defect.

The idea intrigued the CIA, which recruited Cameron to experiment with mind control techniques beginning in 1950. The McGill experiments were jointly funded by the CIA and the Canadian government.

As director of the institute until 1964, Cameron conducted a range of experiments, often without the knowledge or permission of patients.

Cameron gave patients LSD and subjected them to massive and multiple electroshock treatments. Some underwent sleep deprivation or total sensory deprivation.

Others were kept in drug-induced comas for months on end while speakers under their pillows broadcasts messages for up to 16 hours a day.

The experiments were part of a larger CIA program called MK-ULTRA, which also saw LSD administered to U.S. prison inmates and patrons of brothels without their knowledge, according to testimony before a 1977 U.S. Senate committee.

The CIA eventually settled a class-action lawsuit by test subjects, including Huard, and the Canadian government ordered a judicial report into Cameron's experiments.

The allegations have not been proven in court.

A federal court hearing is scheduled to begin Wednesday to decide whether to approve a class-action lawsuit.

In 1994, 77 of the mostly unwitting Canadian patients were awarded $100,000 each from the federal government but only those who suffered "total depatterning," meaning they were rendered to childlike state.

More than 250 others were denied compensation because their treatment was less intense and had fewer long-term effects.

In 2004, a federal appeal court overruled that decision and awarded a former patient the $100,000.

"There are many, many former patients of Dr. Cameron who applied for the $100,000 whose applications were denied on the same basis . . . because they misapplied the decree," says Alan Stein, Huard's lawyer.

The federal appeal court decision means hundreds of other former patients should also have received compensation, he says.

"Even though she (Huard) might not have had the number of electroshock treatments as other applicants, she was subject to psychic driving, she was given experimental drugs and she had electroshock treatments," Stein says.

Lawyers for the federal government have argued that too much time has passed for patients to appeal a federal panel decision.

Huard says the treatments affected her four children and her marriage.

"Justice has to be done," says the grandmother of four and great-grandmother of four.

"It's impossible that they ruined our lives like that. They shouldn't sweep it under the carpet."

http://ca.news.yahoo.com/s/capress/070107/national/cia_brainwash_lawsuit
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Next Level Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: