FAQ   Search   Memberlist   Usergroups   Register   Profile   Log in to check your private messages   Log in 
Audio: CIA Blinks! (Jim Fetzer Show)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 24, 25, 26  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Next Level Forum Index -> General Discussion
  ::  Previous topic :: Next topic  
duane

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2007 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi everyone,
i've been a viewer for quite a while. finally decided to join-in.
wow,2 hours of show divided by atleast 9000 commercials leaves about 20 minutes for interviews. good job fintan staying on message
Fintan, you've spoiled us with your shows that are almost all substance with only a few songs for br breaks
RedMahna

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2007 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great Show, Fintan!! I learned so much more about your position on things, especially the US involvement in Iran and the psy-war going on with that.
While you were wrapping things up on the show tonight, you mentioned Robert Reich's book, in which he describes the future classes. The book is called The Work of Nations - I looked it up.
Here's a review, in case anyone's interested: LINK

Quote:
The Work of Nations: Preparing Ourselves for 21st Century Capitalism. By Robert B. Reich, Random House, New York, 1991.

Reviewed By Sally Foster

Robert Reichís book The Work of Nations, subtitled "A Blueprint for the Future" inside, is nothing short of an extremely ambitious piece of writing. In 330 pages it sets out to map the historical evolution of the worldís current economic situation, or more specifically, Americaís, and then identifies the key shifts in economic rationality currently spreading across the globe. For Reich, these key shifts represent a radical new perspective that will keep afloat an otherwise sinking national economic ship overburdened by outmoded economic policies. All that is needed is an awakening to these new currents and a deliberate effort by nations to develop constructive, socially responsible ways of adapting to this new order. His views are certainly interesting, and his arguments are supported by an abundance of statistics and examples drawn from the historical records of American corporations, labour market trends and the effects of past political policy.

For the student of Technological Change and Economic Development this book provides a good overview of the past and present influences affecting one of the largest technologically driven economies in the world. Also, it's focus on policy making and the management of science and technology brings to the fore many of the economic theories being explored in this course. In order to closely examine some of these issues, I will follow the structure of the book, which clearly reflects the structure of Reich's argument.

The book is separated into four parts. Part One, "The Economic Nation", traces the historical events that contributed to the present economic situation. Reich explains that the shift from mercantilism to popular economic nationalism is responsible for the subsequent growth of national economic identities such as Great Britain, Germany and America, to name the most obvious "giants". Reich believes that at this time strong patriotic feelings were encouraged by nations, and that this patriotism, along with the adoption of protectionist laws, contributed to the growth of mega companies. These companies later became national icons, and their sheer size and influence meant they shaped economic decisions as much as they were shaped by them. Reich then explains that the economic approaches developed at this time have continued to be used by economists despite subsequent changes that make many of these old views redundant. Reich calls this "vestigial" thinking, an idea that he continues to reiterate throughout the rest of the book, sometimes using the word a little too frequently. Nevertheless, the idea that we cling to vestigial, outmoded economic models is an echo of Schumpeter's criticisms of traditional economics and its failure to recognise certain dynamic features within the system (Schumpeter, 1928). This idea can also be traced through the readings on Clark (1985), Innis (in Neill, 1972) and Daneke (1998).

Reich soon turns his focus onto the American experience and pretty much stays there. This does not make his subsequent arguments any less interesting, nor significant to global readers, but it does give the non-American reader reason to suspect that Reich is not necessarily discussing the experiences of other nations. This narrower focus makes the book very topical in one respect, but also threatens to make the book seem more dated than it needs to be. Also, the strong U.S. patriotism undermining most of Reich's argument seems to potentially summon up some of the past economic patterns he suggested we should move away from, eg pride in the big firm. But for the Australian reader, the similarities between the American experience and the Australia one may be greater than the differences, even if Australia is more like a little yacht sailing behind in the wake of the great American ship, or perhaps being dragged along.

Part Two introduces the idea of the Global Web, and reveals how un-American many so called American corporations actually are. Reich suggests that the old forms of high-volume production have been replaced by high-value industries that depend upon problem solving, problem identifying and strategic brokering, saying that profits derive from the "continuous discovery of new linkages between solutions and needs" (p85). Again, this calls to mind Schumpeterís ëentrepreneurial characterí, the strategic thinkers which he placed at the centre of his economic model rather than at the periphery. Reich clearly follows this line of thinking. He believes these new strategists donít respect national boundaries, and in fact, they actively seek out new linkages across the globe.

Reich recognises five categories of emerging enterprise webs that organise themselves in strategic ways to maximise their economic possibilities. These strategies are in many ways similar to the innovative strategies discussed by Christopher Freeman (1992). Examples include the "Defensive Innovative Strategy", mirrored in what Reich terms "Spin-in Partnerships", which involve the purchasing of good ideas and patents in order to seek out potential gains through marketing strategies.

Reich goes on to say that those who benefit most from this new emerging reality are those with highly developed problem solving abilities and that government needs to focus on developing these skills in future generations. In the latter part of the book Education becomes a key issue for Reich. He stresses that while material and financial values fluctuate, the value of human capital (knowledge) can only increase with experience, ie. What is learned cannot be unlearned (p109). This seems a somewhat simplified notion in relation to the new labour markets which Reich is talking about. Companies that prioritise the trade of ideas have been observed to follow a race-horse mentality with regard to their employees; getting the most out them while they are young and fresh, then dropping them when younger upwardly mobile colts appear to take their place. Trading in ideas does not necessarily value long term investment in human capital, as Reich may seem to be implying. This is not to negate the importance of Reichís observation about the rise of symbolic analysts, but simply attempts to question whether the symbolic analyst is necessarily the wealthy, jet-setting, sought after individual often suggests.

Another of Reich's big concerns seems to be that investment in offshore industry results in others gaining the experience and skills Americans so desperately need themselves. He welcomes foreign investment in American industry and research, urging policy makers to relax restrictions on foreign investments in an effort to foster the growth of American expertise. This is perhaps one of his most surprising claims because at the time, and perhaps still, it goes against so much of the protectionist, defensive strategies adopted by governments in their attempts to maintain national economic growth. It also throws an interesting light on criticisms of the labour exploitation in cheaper foreign markets. If things are as Reich suggests, the exploitative wealthier nations are actually investing a lot more into these countries than may be aware of.

In Part Three, Reich explores the new forms of labour emerging at the end of the 21st century. He lists three "jobs of the future", those which involve routine production, those which involve in-person services, and those which demand what Reich calls symbolic-analytic skills (pp176-177). This third one is discussed in detail and Reich apparently believes that symbolic analysts have most successfully adapted to the new emerging economic reality, having become the finely tuned problem-solvers and strategic brokers discussed earlier in the book. His view of the symbolic analyst shares similarities with the "innovative character", or entrepreneur suggested by Schumpeter (1928), along with the role they both suggest these people play in driving the economy is a very significant one. Reich spends the remainder of Part Three discussing the benefits and also the dangers of this new division of labour, and then fully explores this in Part Four titled "The Meaning of Nation".

In the final chapters, Reich warns of the widening divide between rich and poor and how the wealthy symbolic analysts of society are increasingly distanced from a sense of social responsibility. As they retreat into their safe, rich enclaves, they are less concerned for the dilapidation of the rest of their cities and towns. The recurrence of this theme along with Reich's criticisms of the governments continual cuts to education and public spending lead one to believe he is almost Marxian in his call to action. He speaks of a "positive economic nationalism" (p312) that could emerge if people were to put their own self-interest behind that of the nation and one another. He says

"There is a possibility that symbolic analysts will decide that they have a responsibility to improve the well-being of their compatriots, regardless of any personal gain. A new patriotism would thus be born, founded less upon economic self-interest than upon loyalty to the nation" (p302).
These are strong words and the final passages of Reich's book are no less potent or charged with persuasive instructions to inspire people to work toward these positive changes. It is what Reich calls the Work of Nations so to speak.

It is difficult to say whether Reich's lofty prose contributes to the book's success or whether he has simply been able to present some very good ideas in an uncomplicated fashion. It is likely a combination of the two. But because the book is quite easily read, and obviously aimed at a large audience, it lacks the sophistication often found in more timeless works on economic theory or political criticism. Nevertheless, it contributes a number of important ideas to the debates that surround the study of technology, economics and society, and explains concisely how and why certain economic trends -- such as global webs -- have developed so rapidly in recent times.

References:

Freeman, C. (1982) The Economics of Industrial Innovation (2nd Ed), Frances Pinter, London.

Clarke, N (1985) The Political Economy of Science and Technology. Basil Blackwell,
New York.

Daneke, G A (1998) "Beyond Schumpeter: nonlinear economics and the evolution of
the U.S. innovation system", Journal of Socio-Economics Vol 27:1, p97(19).

Neill, R (1972) A New Theory of Value: The Canadian Economics of H. A. Innis.
University of Toronto Press.

Schumpeter, J (1928) "The Instability of Capitalism", Economic Journal, pp361-386.

I just find Reich's ideas here to be quite interesting, since he wrote is over 15 years ago (judging from the review).

Anyway, thanks again for letting us know about the interview on Jim Fetzer's show.
BTW, he announced you will be returning next week, so please keep us posted again.

Red

Ozregeneration

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2007 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well presented Fintan and I thought Jim to be an open presenter. Can't say the offer to come on next week was all that surprising. I thought you made the CIA fakes a non-issue for the time being and enabled you to present the bigger picture without getting sidetracked. Credit must also go to Jim on this point.

I loved the irony of A.J. giving a couple of promo's during the show. Smile

Does anyone know of another free uploader I can use as http://www.upload.sc doesn't seem to working now? I've uploader three files but didn't get a link back.

Cheers

Oz

navari

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2007 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ozregeneration wrote:
Does anyone know of another free uploader I can use as http://www.upload.sc doesn't seem to working now? I've uploader three files but didn't get a link back.

I use http://www.yousendit.com/
Ozregeneration

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2007 9:15 pm    Post subject: Audio available for 7 days Reply with quote

navari wrote:
Ozregeneration wrote:

I use http://www.yousendit.com/

Greetings Navari,

Thanks for that link, looks like it has some nice features.

I have uploaded the radio chat (excluding the adds) over 8 parts .

Part 1
Part 2
Part 3
Part 4
Part 5 (I missed the first 15min or so of the second hr, but I think most of that was news, etc)
Part 6
Part 7
Part 8

EddieT

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2007 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hell of a job Fintan. Fetzer certainly likes to babble, doesnt he? And the commercials on that network! Ormond was right...they work to keep the stress up high. I hope the invite next week was legit. Glad you mentioned bfn also...if only to make Kathy happy Very Happy .

I hope you are wrong about the economic "terror" about to hit...doesn't sound fun. I think you are right on about the false flag terror ops being scaled down for now. I've been thinking the same thing...call it "next level" intuition.
Ormond

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2007 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Part 5 (I missed the first 15min or so of the second hr, but I think most of that was news, etc)

Thanks for posting those, Ozgeneration. I think the 15 minutes was mostly commercials! lol.

But QUITE A LOT got said! Fetzer wasn't argumentative, and it proceeded to be a re-cap of everything related to the package of what's been going on throughout this decade. A lot of people will be hearing a different perspective on events and circumstances that they've been getting.

I should have taken notes, but for one: the likelyhood that the 1979 fall of the Shah of Iran (Palavi) was an infiltrated, groomed-for-years CIA influenced coup d'tat. That simply never occurs to so many people because when it happened the MSM was entirely controlled --with no alternative sources --and people accepted the 'Ted Kopple's Nightline" version. (it was a more naive time).

Another paradigm shifter for many listeners would be the covert relation between GHW Bush and the Clintons. Impossible to believe in the 90's--but not so difficult now that they've practically flaunted it now and then since 2004.
By extension, the realization that there's a reason why the two parties seem so on the same page when passing laws. Again, it's never occurred to half the American public (or more) that the two party system is ONE behind closed doors. Food for thought.

Quote:
I hope you are wrong about the economic "terror" about to hit...doesn't sound fun. I think you are right on about the false flag terror ops being scaled down for now. I've been thinking the same thing...call it "next level" intuition.

From our point of view it will seem like 'terror' to enter a time of 'stagflation'. That will hit Americans where we live much harder than dropping bombs in the Middle East.
But the inevitablilty of a 'belt tightening' adjustment of dollar value isn't a choice for the Globalists. To merge the US with Mexico and Canada, the currencies of the US and Canada must be pulled down to par with the Peso.
That's gotta hurt.

Won't hurt G-8 and WTO luncheon atendees, though. Insiders are profiting big time from Corporate Globalism--they're on another tier of economy than nationals.

navari

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2007 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the entire 2nd hour as a single file, approx 25MB. So let me know if
you want me to upload.
Wu Li

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2007 12:14 am    Post subject: CIA FAKES!!! Reply with quote

Never heard much about telling the people about CIA fakes?
I 100% agree with your analysis about globalization.
Lets next talk about Monetization, their new word for Privatization.
You have part2
Make me happy!!!!
How will they control our water?
HUH!!
I must go back to making music;
Excuse me.

Wu Li

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2007 12:24 am    Post subject: Secondly Reply with quote

Laughing

Fezter sounded to me like a blathering idiot compared to you.
Truth
I would ramp up the newest show
Please speak about privatization, "Monetization" a little.
Our water depends on it!!!

Wu Li

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2007 12:40 am    Post subject: Re: Secondly Reply with quote

Wu Li wrote:
Laughing

Fezter sounded to me like a blathering idiot compared to you.
Truth
I would ramp up the newest show
Please speak about privatization, "Monetization" a little.
Our water depends on it!!!

Iran is bought and has been since 1979 so saying that
Please explain that public property is bought and paid for.
Take our eye off the ball. The buying up our land by corporate interests.
They are buying up our world so they can say they own it.
So can we say no to this illegal buy out of our world?
I say it's alright Mr. Fetzer!!! The beatles "It's all right"

Fintan please help me out here!
Deal in the tool of globalization which the tool is "PRIVATIZATION" , which I now call monetization"!!!!!

Lets understand this PLEASE!!!

Wu Li

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2007 1:03 am    Post subject: My previous posts! Reply with quote

A dictatorship!!
We live in right now!
#4 Fintan says it straight out!!
Great!!Great!!Great!!
Brilliant interview
Please take notice of my previous posts.
Water a little please!
and the ECONIMICS!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Next Level Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 24, 25, 26  Next
Page 3 of 26

Jump to: